Binge-Worthy TV: Butter Up Your Popcorn!

by Catherine Mann

Who remembers the blockbuster television series Dallas? Or more recently Nashville? They’re full of glitz and drama, heartbreak and love. I adore these sorts of shows and wanted to create that same sweeping family saga feel in my eight-book series, Alaskan Oil Barons.

For research—and fun—I binge-watched some TV series to immerse myself in the vibe. Many bowls of popcorn and a few glasses of wine later, here are some of my favorites:

For mega-drama and romance, full of glamor and glitz, I enjoyed:

Dallas and Dynasty

I’m still riveted by the power, the Stetsons, the catfights!

Nashville

I adored the glittery clothes, the memorable characters, the off-the-charts chemistry!

Downton Abbey

While this is a historical, it tied into my research of a wealthy world, as well as the machinations and—ultimately—the triumph of love.

It’s a blast writing stories with glitz and wealth, but I also strive to write characters who are down-to-earth, like the ones found in the sweeping family saga trials of:

Bloodline

The family dynamics, with blood ties, love and sometimes rivalry. It kept me riveted. And yes, there are skeletons in the closet. Let’s admit it—we’ve all got them!

Friday Night Lights

The camaraderie and competition of the town drew me in. The world building in their community had me rooting for them to beat the odds.

Offspring (an Australian series)

If you haven’t watched this, stop what you’re doing and check it out now. Right now! The family dynamics, the love and heartbreak, the ties that bind—all of it reminded me why our hearts are won by a sweeping, dramatic family saga full of love.

I’ve heard great things about the series Empire and plan to check that out. What are some of your favorite binge-worthy shows?

***

Watch for the start of Catherine Mann’s Alaskan Oil Barons saga with THE BABY CLAIM (Available February 2018), THE DOUBLE DEAL (Available March 2018), THE LOVE CHILD (Available April 2018), and THE TWIN BIRTHRIGHT (Available May 2018) from Harlequin Desire.

1. Dawn Clark
    February 23, 2018 at 10:08 am

loving this series!!!

• Catherine Mann
      February 23, 2018 at 11:23 am

Thank you so much, Dawn! I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying my Alaskan Oil Barons. Your comment sure made my Friday!! 🙂

2. Haley
    February 24, 2018 at 6:31 pm

I love to binge watch Sons Of Anarchy. Those powerful family ties are also what I love about this new series by Catherine Mann. Can’t wait to read more.

• Catherine Mann
      February 26, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Oh wow!! I love Sons of Anarchy too!!! Such a gripping show.

3. Sharon Forbes
    February 27, 2018 at 7:46 am

This looks like a wonderful series of books, thinking I’ll treat myself after my book buying ban is over, I gave up buying books for Lent, doing very well, so far, praying that nothing tempts me too much!!

• Catherine Mann
      February 28, 2018 at 10:29 am

Hi Sharon! I wouldn’t want to make you break your buying ban …. I hope that afterward, you enjoy catching up on the Alaskan Oil Barons with a binge read. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by to comment!!

4. Gro Karin Gifstad
    March 2, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Tom Ellis in Lucifer is the inspiration for my hero. The chemistry between the two main characters in the serie is what I’m aiming for. I also whatch “Once upon a time”, where well known characters of different fairytales live in the present. Most of the women in this story are strong, independant women, even if the fairytales says otherwise.
    Other series: “The Thorn birds” (Australian)

• Elissa
      March 5, 2018 at 9:44 am

All of these are great shows! Thanks for sharing your recommendations with us!

• Catherine Mann
      March 5, 2018 at 1:22 pm

I loved the Thornbirds!!! What a great pick! And I love how Once Upon A Time retells the fairytales! Sooooo good!!