MMA: The Next Generation in Sports Romance
by Michele Mannon, author of Tap Out (Carina Press)
You’ve read stories about hottie football stars and downright scandalous hockey players. Now featuring a fresh take on sports romance. Welcome to the world of MMA, starring sexy as sin mixed martial arts fighters and the sassy women battling them at every turn.
I love writing stories set in the world of the fastest growing sport around—MMA. And I’m thrilled readers have embraced this trend, with rugged troubled fighters quickly becoming a favorite among heroes (or heroines).
The second book in the Worth the Fight series, TAP OUT, features the David Beckham of MMA, underwear model/welterweight Caden Kelly, who is hell-bent on reclaiming the championship title. The problem? Disgraced ex late night shock-jock, Sophie Morelle, who is determined to film a documentary on MMA fighters, with him as her would-be star. She’s already ruined his first attempt at a come-back, and he wants nothing more to do with the persistent woman.
So why fall in love with MMA?
1. The fighters are the capital A in Alpha male. Tough, skilled, intelligent, and determined to make their opponents tap out.
2. Fighters might be hot as sin, but they’re real people, with real issues. My first book, KNOCK OUT, features a hero suffering from PTSD, a disorder that affects many of our past and present veterans.
3. The world of MMA is often humorous. They use fighting terms like Heel Hook and Slick Submission. A matter of fact, in TAP OUT, every chapter begins with Sophie’s tongue in cheek interpretation of what these terms might mean.
4. An actual fight (or bout) is held in an octagon cage. Why an eight-sided cage? A few say it was the result of a Chuck Norris movie, where his character fights in such a cage. Really! Most think it’s because the shape doesn’t favor a particular fighting style, that wrestlers and muay thai fighters have the same advantage.
5. Fighters have really interesting nicknames, like: Anderson “The Spider” Silva, Karo “The Heat” Parisyan, Ian “Uncle Creepy” McCall, Joey “Mexicutioner” Beltran, Trey “That Just Happened” Houston.
So I invite you to find out why MMA is both the fastest growing sport and becoming an instant favorite with romance readers.
Read on for an excerpt from Tap Out:
Once more, traffic slowed to a crawl.
“Look. Isn’t that your fighter?”
Though she knew it was coming—he was hard to miss—Sophie’s heart still accelerated faster than her V8 engine. Her gaze followed the upward angle of her best friend’s finger.
“God, he’s gorgeous,” Lauren stated the obvious.
“His looks are irrelevant. He’s the cause of this blasted traffic, I’m telling you.” Still, the sign was more erotic than…anything. “Indecent. The billboard and the man,” she muttered.
“Ha, this coming from the ex-queen of late-night drama,” Lauren scoffed, shifting in the driver’s seat and drawing Sophie’s attention away from Caden’s ginormous crotch. “If America only knew what a prude you really are.”
“Soon to be reigning queen,” Sophie murmured, her gaze instinctively shifting back to the billboard—and him, the catalyst of her disgraceful plummet from prime time.
Caden smirked back at her with a cocky grin.
The last time she’d seen him, he hadn’t been smiling.
About Tap Out:
Late-night shock jock Sophie Morelle has been fired, dumped by her network after an embarrassing incident cost them big bucks. But she knows just how to get back on her feet–by filming a raw, gritty documentary about MMA fighters, starring the hottest welterweight around. The only problem? He’s the one responsible for ruining her life.
MMA-champion-turned-model Caden Kelly is hell-bent on reestablishing himself as the best fighter in the country. He’d been on a roll, too, until that loudmouth reporter hit him in the head with a camera on national TV. The headaches he’s suffered since are nothing compared to the one he gets when she shows up, seeking an exclusive. That Sophie’s gorgeous is undeniable…but she’s also the most infuriating woman he’s ever met.
Stepping into the ring with Caden Kelly is not for the faint of heart, but Sophie’s never been the delicate type. This champion may have finally met his match–both in and out of the bedroom.
About Michele Mannon: Michele is an avid fan of traveling, skinny cinnamon lattes, and gawking at shirtless men on television–jocks, MMA fighters, vampires, bikers alike.
With a love for different cultures and rich characters, she earned a degree in French, taught English in Japan, and worked in the NYC fashion industry. Now, she puts her experiences to pen, by creating sassy heroines and oh-so sexy alpha males, and throwing them into the situations they’d never dreamed of being caught in. TAP OUT and KNOCK OUT are both available from Carina Press. Stay connected with Michele: Website / Facebook / @MicheleMannon