Ways to Torment a Heroine Challenge
By Michele Mannon, author of Knock Out (Carina Press)
What happens when a fame pimp of an ex drops a famous ballerina on a popular reality T.V. show, breaks her ankle, ruins her career, and then blames her average-sized chest for it all?
I love reading stories where characters are put through the ringer, where a laced up heroine ends up face down in the mud, where characters learn about themselves through situations they least expected.
In my debut novel, Knock Out, released December 2nd, Logan Rettino is forced to make a 180 degree career change, hanging up her ballet slippers for an MMA ring card—which takes some getting used to, especially with six-feet-two of oh-so-sexy MMA fighter standing between her and her future plans.
I thought it would be fun to list ten “torment a heroine” challenges I think would be horrible for any character to face, and yet hilarious to read.
1. Get Trashed By An Ex – “Oh, no, he didn’t!” All the juicy details of their relationship abuzz on every social media outlet, where he looks like the injured party and she looks downright ridiculous.
2. Give Up a Career She Loves for One Less “Suitable” – Like poor Logan, who one minute is dancing at the Lincoln Center and is the most beloved contestant on America Gets Its Groove On, and the next minute—viola!—an MMA ring card girl. Really?
3. Be Forced to Eat Brussel Sprouts – Sautéed, baked, mashed, barbequed, incognito or plated in any fashion. YUCK!
4. Be Caught by the Hero Wearing a Headless Beaver Suit – This one is a shout out to the fabulous Susan Elizabeth Phillips, where her heroine in A Natural Born Charmer is discovered wearing exactly that. Hilarious!
5. Have Her Sexy Lingerie—or Worse, Her Very Unsexy Lingerie—On View for the World to See – Whether she’s wearing it or it’s strewn along a major interstate highway like a naughty trail of breadcrumbs.
6. Wake Up Next to “What’s His Name?” – Her house, her bed, and so not her boyfriend, ex, or guy she last remembered talking to before that final shot of tequila kicked in.
7. Sit Through Dinner With Mr. Obnoxious – You’ve heard how he dislikes fat chicks, how much he pays in taxes—a substantial amount because his salary is THAT enormous—how impressed he is with his wonderfully humble-like-a-pit-bull self.
8. Dream Date Pointing Out “You have something wedged between your teeth.” — Every woman alive can relate to some version of this one!
9. Leaving Evidence Behind for a Fast Exit – Empty shot glasses, a broken heel, her leopard print undies. She’s in too much of a hurry to make a clean break before he wakes up.
10. Have Fame Twist into Notoriety in Five Seconds Flat – In Knock Out, Logan’s ex makes her out to be the most notoriously buxom ballerina to ever grace the stage—why else would he drop her? The lying cheat! It’s a story about heroine’s struggle to survive the low blows in life, and who comes out a better person because of it. And, don’t worry, Logan plans on getting sweet revenge.
So, how would you torment a heroine?
Michele Mannonis an avid fan of traveling, skinny cinnamon lattes, and gawking at shirtless bikers, jocks, and vampires on television.
Knock Out is the first book in the Worth the Fight series, available from Carina Press.
About the Book
Logan Rettino never imagined she’d fall so far. Dropped by her ex on national TV, she’s gone from prima ballerina to ring card girl, reduced to revving up the crowds before MMA bouts. However distasteful she finds her new job, it pays well…and she needs the money if she’s ever going to rebuild her life. Promised a huge bonus if she can convince a brooding, gifted welterweight to keep fighting, she’ll do whatever it takes to earn his trust.
Keane O’Shea is unbeatable in the octagon. A former marine, he fights with a ruthlessness no gym jockey can match. He knows his brutal strength is too much for the delicate ex-ballerina, regardless of how fascinating he finds Logan’s tight dancer’s body. But one private performance and he’s drawn to her in a way he can’t–or won’t–resist.
As Logan discovers the heartbreaking truth that lies beneath this handsome warrior’s rage, she’ll need to forfeit everything she thought mattered for the one thing that matters the most: saving Keane from himself.