Nominate Someone for Harlequin More Than Words!
by Tiffany Shiu, Assistant Manager, Publisher Relations & Corporate PR
We are so excited to share the latest news about our Corporate Social Responsibility program, Harlequin More Than Words. Last year, we recognized Mindy Atwood from Patches of Light—a nonprofit organization based in Hilliard, Ohio, that seeks to aid families with critically ill children by assisting in the financial burden of providing funding for nonmedical items. The program awarded Mindy $15,000 for her charity and paired her with Cindy Dees, one of Harlequin’s authors. Cindy Dees then donated her time and talent to write a novella inspired by the Mindy’s dedication and compassion.
Through the publicity Mindy and her organization received from our eBook story and program, Mindy received a call last week from a donor who will be giving her an additional cheque for $15,000. Her extraordinary contributions and moving story inspired the donor to turn awareness into action demonstrating that the power of storytelling can drive civic involvement and make a positive difference in the community—the precise purpose of our program.
Mindy would like to thank Harlequin for recognizing her work in the community and helping her with the exposure she has received. Mindy’s story, LIGHT THIS CANDLE is now available free for download.
If this story inspires you, please help us spread the word and tell everyone you know that our 2014 nominations are open through August 9th.
Here’s how the Harlequin More Than Words program works:
- Log onto www.harlequinmorethanwords.com/nominate/ and readthrough the Contest Rules
- Fill out the following sections: a) Contact Information; b) Nominee’s Information; c) Nominee’s Story
- Once completed, click submit in hopes that the nominated recipient receives $15,000 toward her charity
- Nominations are narrowed down to the top five in November for a public voting phase
- The online voting phase closes on November 21st
- Recipients are announced in early 2014
- Recipients are then paired up with Harlequin authors who will donate their time to write short stories inspired by our recipients’ lives
- Stories will then be distributed for free as eBooks
For more details, please email MoreThanWords@Harlequin.ca.