Why I Write Romance: Kathleen Y’Barbo

Writers never stop researching, nor do they stop plotting. At least, that’s been my experience. Though I’m known as a historical romance author, I found I kept tucking away ideas for contemporary novels on the chance I might someday do something with them. A plot idea here and a character there, and before I realized it I had a file bulging with possible stories. At the encouragement of my agent, I took those pieces of ideas and formed a series set in Vine Beach, Texas centering around widowers who find love after loss. Even better, the first book in the series will debut next year in the Love Inspired line! I’m beyond thrilled to be working with Emily Rodmell and the amazing folks at Love Inspired. Now, back to that file…

Kathleen Y’Barbo (@KathleenYBarbo) is a best-selling author of more than thirty books. In all, over 850,000 copies of her books are currently in print in the US and abroad. She has been named as a finalist in the American Christian Fiction Writers Book of the Year contest every year since its inception in 2003, often for more than one book.

1. Ioanna
    November 3, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Dear Kathleen & Emily,

I haven’t yet the opportunity of reading something of Love Inspired series, because I live in Europe and I am not American. I know that the central point in these books is love in Christian way.

Should the heros be Americans? All the story must take place in U.S.A.?

Dogmatic differences (Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants etc) is something that writers should follow when they write for this series?

I have a strong interest about this kind of stories and I would be challenged to write one, but I want to know some details (more than those I can find in your site)

I would appreciate a feedback to my post

2. Emily Rodmell
    November 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Thanks for the great blog, Kathleen.

Ioanna,

We do prefer that LI books take place in North America. But our historical books in LIH can take place anywhere in the world. And we try to keep dogmatic differences out of the books. We want the books to appeal to the greatest range of people that they can.

Thanks,
    Emily

3. Ioanna
    November 3, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Thank you for your reply!

I will try to write an american story…At least I hope…

4. Janet Lee Barton
    November 4, 2010 at 9:26 am

Great post, Kathleen! I can’t wait to read the series!

5. Tweets that mention Harlequin Enterprises, Ltd. -- Topsy.com
    November 4, 2010 at 9:43 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Dawn P, Janet Lee Barton. Janet Lee Barton said: Great post by Kathleen Y'Barbo! http://t.co/iFYAhbR via @HarlequinBooks […]

6. Jink Willis
    November 4, 2010 at 9:47 am

Hi Kathleen…Just like our first meet…when you pulled into Colleen’s drive, waved, rolled your passenger window down and Engaged…I love how you jump into things. Good look on this new series…Great Idea!!!

7. Linda Kozar
    November 4, 2010 at 9:47 am

Kathleen, you are an awesome writer. Can’t wait to read this one!

8. Kate Young
    November 4, 2010 at 10:22 am

Kathleen, your books have been so much fun to read that I cannot wait to see what you have cooked up for us next~! It’s always good eats with your books although I do tend to inhale them, hehe.

9. Kathleen Y'Barbo
    November 4, 2010 at 11:39 am

Thanks, ladies! I’m SO excited to be writing for Love Inspired. And I finally get to set a series in my home state of Texas!!

10. Janice Thompson
    November 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

You go, girl! Can’t wait to critique these stories. You’d better send those chapters my way!

11. Kathleen Y'Barbo
    November 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I will, Janice. I promise. I couldn’t let this series go to press without expert help…and you ARE the expert!

12. Robyn Cederstrand
    November 4, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Just love your books and can’t wait to read the next one. You’re an AWESOME writer and friend!