Top Ten Reasons Why Writing for Teens is Awesome
Editor’s Note: Allison van Diepen debut title from Harlequin Teen, The Oracle of Dating goes on sale tomorrow, May 1. Ever thought of writing a young adult novel? Take it from Allison—it’s a great gig! Here she is with her top ten reasons why writing for teens is OMG so awesome!
by Allison van Diepen, author of The Oracle of Dating (Harlequin Teen)
10. Who needs marketing? If teens like your books, they’ll tell everyone they know.
9. They don’t ask for sequels, they demand them. And they’ll insist that you make your book into a movie.
8. They’ll let you know exactly what they liked or didn’t like about your book (not to mention pointing out the typo on p. 53). And they aren’t afraid to tell you what to put in your next book.
7. You’re in a unique position to encourage teens to read. There’s nothing better than hearing that your book has turned a reluctant reader into an enthusiastic one.
6. Teens are very good at persuading their teachers or librarians to bring you to their school, often promoting the visit as an academic necessity. And there’s usually a social aspect to the visit… a certain double decker bus with two dozen screaming teens careening through the streets of Flint, MI comes to mind.
5. They do really cool school projects involving your books. They make videos, posters, comics – and sometimes they send you pics or post their videos on YouTube.
3. You get to channel your inner-teen, with all the passion, angst and drama you experienced back then – or wish you had.
2. You get to write in teen code, like: OMG I’m ROTFLMAO with my BFF!
1. Teens can write the most heartfelt letters describing how your book affected them. And you’re reminded of why you write in the first place.