Heroes from the Headlines: Real Life Romance Heroes
by Brynn Kelly, author of Edge of Truth
Right now the news media isn’t a very inspiring place to linger. But something I’ve noticed lately? Tucked in among the scandals have been some fun and poignant snippets about everyday (and not so everyday) heroes who’d make fab inspiration for romance novels. Which of these ripped-from-the-headlines heroes would you read a novel about?
- The beyond-the-call-of-duty firefighter. After the bombs went off during the Boston Marathon, firefighter Mike Materia helped injured bystander Roseann Sdoia to hospital, where her leg was amputated. And he continued to stick by her as she recovered—visiting her in intensive care and even helping her find a prosthetic leg. Duty became friendship, friendship became love, love became a marriage proposal. Aw.
- The crooning small-town veterinarian. When Colorado vet Dr. Ross Henderson feels his charges need a little morale boost, he pulls out his guitar and starts a-singing. You’ll find him here. (You’re welcome.)
- The airline pilot who is also royalty. For decades, a tall, cheery guy called Willem-Alexander has moonlighted as a copilot for Dutch airline KLM. This month he revealed his real identity—King Willem-Alexander, the Netherlands’ monarch.
- The steely presidential bodyguard. When dashing black belt and former commando Choi Young-jae volunteered to serve as a temporary bodyguard for the South Korean president, he little knew his chiseled hotness would make him nearly as famous as his boss. Is this the next Bond?
- The suave brainiac. Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau just can’t help being cute and charming, can he? My favorite viral Trudeau-ism? When a journalist jokingly asks him to explain quantum computing—and he does. Sure, some purists say he didn’t get it quite correct, but the guy deserves a romantic comedy, at least.
Which of these men do you think would make the best inspiration for a romance hero?
About Edge of Truth:
Tensions sizzle in this electrifying novel guaranteed to capture your heart and take your breath away. Fans of Julie Garwood, Suzanne Brockmann and Jayne Ann Krentz will devour this action-packed, emotionally stunning tour de force, where every page reveals another damning secret and daring gamble.
Rotting in an African dungeon is the last place journalist Tess Newell expected to find herself. As she’s held hostage by the terrorist group she’s investigating, Tess’s salvation—and temptation—arrives in the form of another prisoner. A French Foreign Legionnaire with a sinful smile and too many secrets to be anything but dangerous. Yet she knows he’s her only hope of surviving.
The Legion is the only family Flynn has. His sanctuary and his purgatory, after years spent in hell. When a mission goes south and Flynn is captured, it’s not the enemy that worries him, but the brazen, alluring reporter whose prying questions threaten to bring down his world—and the walls he’s built around his heart.
Yet after a daring escape, Flynn must risk it all and go on the run with Tess to retrieve the evidence she needs. The chemistry between them threatens to detonate but, with the enemy fast closing in, time is running out to unravel the truth from the lies in this deadly conspiracy…