6 “Success Strategies” to Help Achieve Your New Year’s Weight Loss Resolutions + Giveaway
Looking to turn your New Year’s weight loss resolution into reality? These six proven success strategies from Cynthia Stamper Graff, author of The New Lean for Life, will help give you a jump start on losing weight and becoming healthier in 2014.
1. Weigh yourself daily. It’s a lot easier to stay on course when you have information. Weighing yourself every morning lets you know exactly where you stand—and whether the changes you’ve made in how you eat are working.
2. Stay hydrated. Your thirst signals and hunger signals are controlled by the same region of brain, called the hypothalamus. When you’re dehydrated, your brain can easily mistake thirst for hunger. The Lean for Life program recommends drinking 80 ounces of water or other calorie-free beverages every day.
3. Write down your goal—and your motivations for achieving it. Results follow focus. Creating Motivator Cards that list your top 3-5 reasons for losing weight—and then placing those cards in your car, on your bathroom mirror and anywhere else you’re likely to see them—is a great way to remind yourself of the benefits you’ll enjoy as you lose weight.
4. Get your ZZZs. Getting plenty of sleep allows your brain to balance the production of your appetite hormones and keep your metabolism running at optimal speed. A lack of sleep can deregulate appetite hormones, impair your body’s ability to regulate blood sugar levels, and spike your cortisol levels, which may promote belly fat and increase appetite.
5. Get off the couch. The next time you experience a food craving, take a 10-minute walk and see what happens. Even short bursts of moderate physical activity can help reduce cravings and promote weight loss. The Lean for Life program recommends 10,000 steps a day.
6. Be the first to order. When you’re out at a restaurant with friends, read the menu carefully, make healthy choices, and do your best to order first. That way, you won’t be influenced or tempted to change your mind and “have what she’s having.”
Adopt these strategies—and others featured in The New Lean for Life—and you could soon find yourself weighing less and feeling healthier!
Giveaway: We have 2 copies of The New Lean for Life available to be won! To enter, simply tell us which tip you plan to use to help stay lean for life. We will choose 2 winners from all eligible comments by random draw. Contest closes January 19 at 11:59 pm and the winner will announced here on January 20. Open to residents of the US and Canada. For full official rules, click here.