by Fiona Lowe, author of Boomerang Bride (Carina Press)
Matilda Geoffrey, the heroine from Boomerang Bride, was raised on the great love stories of her grandmother and mother. Usually sensible and practical, grief got in the way and she crossed the world, risking all for what she thought was love.
Now she’s wearing a wedding dress, she’s alone on Main Street in small-town Wisconsin and things aren’t working out exactly as planned. For starters, the groom is missing.
I did some research. Matilda’s not alone with her ‘great wedding disaster’. There have been some doozies!
- The bride who go so drunk and aggressive that she threw cake and vases at her groom, screamed obscenities at the wait staff and flipped off the police. Her mug shot features her wearing her wedding dress!
- The bride (and her father) who ended up in hospital with a concussion and broken bones after the horse who was pulling the beautiful carriage bolted, throwing the driver off the carriage and ran into the path of an oncoming truck!
- The groom who fell ten feet after being knocked to the ground by the blade of a windmill.
- The special tropical island wedding turned decidedly sour when the bride, the groom and all their guests came down with food poisoning after the reception.
- Stood up by her groom two days before their Halloween-themed wedding and unable to get a refund on the reception hall, a bride threw a huge party for the local retirement home.
Now that is exactly the sort of thing Matilda would do!
I didn’t have a great wedding disaster but we did have some fun hiccoughs, including the zipper on my husband’s pants breaking as he got dressed. Fortunately we got married on a Saturday morning so he drove to the church via the suit-hire shop and got a replacement pair.
Do you have any funny wedding stories to share?
Fiona Lowe is a RITA® and R*BY award-winning, multi-published author with Harlequin and Carina Press. Whether her books are set in outback Australia or in the mid-west of the USA, they feature small towns with big hearts, and warm, likeable characters that make you fall in love. When she’s not writing stories, she’s a weekend wife, mother of two ‘ginger’ teenage boys, guardian of 80 rose bushes and often found collapsed on the couch with wine. You can find her at her website, facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.